The Plaça dels Oms is a place that plays a great symbolic role in the civic life of La Seu d’Urgell, with the Casa de la Ciutat forming its eastern side and with the impressive body of the cathedral on the southern side.
In this square, at the eastern side, there was the Cerdanya gate, which was extended to the south by a wall, from which significant parts remain in the interior of the Town Hall building. The ancient Romanesque church of Santa Eulàlia was also built in this area, constructed in the 11th century over the imprecise remains of a structure of Roman origin, and now absorbed into the Town Hall complex.
In the mid-15th century, when the hospital of the old town became insufficient for the needs of the city, it was decided to construct a new one close to the wall. A short time later, in 1473, the consuls of the city enlarged the building to accommodate municipal offices. In this way, the hospital also became the Casa de la Ciutat, the home of the city, according to an original sign carved into its façade. The building and the municipal offices underwent remodelling during the 18th century.
Other renovations are followed until well into the 20th century, when its characteristic turret was built which crowns the façade of the building and that housed, for many years, the Municipal Archives of La Seu d’Urgell.