The northern end of the Carrer dels Canonges was known in the medieval period as “La Plaça”, (the square), which defines its role as market place. The area was very close to the main entrance of the Cathedral. Today, the area still retains its medieval flavour and notable are the porches on the western side, under which stalls and selling pitches could be set up under cover so that the market could take place even when the weather conditions were adverse.
La Seu d’Urgell was a point of reference for its Pyrenean surroundings in terms of commerce and services. The most diverse products arrived here from all the territories of the Crown of Aragon, and even from more distant places. The existence of a weekly market is mentioned as far back as 1029, and the holding of a fair from 1048. According to this date, La Seu would be the oldest documented fair in the Iberian Peninsula.
This commercial significance must also be seen in context with the initiatives of Bishop Ermengol to build large infrastructure projects that allowed the movement of people, animals and goods to La Seu.