Until well into the 19th century, the Church of Sant Domènec was part of the Dominican convent of La Seu d’Urgell. The order of preachers or Dominicans had attained great importance within the context of the confrontation of the Catholic Church against Catharism, which took hold strongly in the La Seu d’Urgell region from the 13th century. The first convent of the Dominicans of Urgell was located outside the city walls, at the northern end of the Capdevila district, but in 1364, with the extension of the city walls, this property had to be demolished. The Dominicans were moved to within the city walls and given the old Romanesque church of Sant Miquel, where they began to build a new church in 1409.
The Church follows the criteria of the Catalan Gothic architecture with a very austere, undecorated exterior. In contrast, the interior space is large and spectacular, along the lines of the Gothic church architecture of southern Europe. It has a single nave and a polygonal apse.
With the Ecclesiastical Confiscations of Mendizábal, in 1836, the convent of La Seu d’Urgell was suppressed and the former convent Church, abandoned for some time, became a parish church between 1922 and 1936. During the Civil War, the Church was sacked and its bell tower destroyed. After the conflict it was used as a military facility and then was once again abandoned. Returned to the municipality, the restoration works to turn the Church into a hall for cultural activities were carried out during the 1990s.